Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sundays in Santa Anna




Islept the best last night I have slept all week! :) I actually slept from 11PM until 5 Am without waking up and then went back to sleep.....I usually do not sleep well away from home. If you want to read a funny blog...click on Terri Tindal's blog and read about her night terror!!! It was funny! Last eve Karen, Anita and I watched Marley and me. Karen was told she was buying another DVD and when she got home it was a poor copy of Marley and Me. Of course I cried! So sad! Tonight some of us are going to watch the super bowl.....go Pittsburgh.... and have pizza even! I ate a fahita again for dinner today and taco chips....so I am definitely not starving down here. I looked at the weather at home and it looks like it should be clear flying by the time we fly back home on Saturday! :) Get all that ice and snow out of there before we get home, please! :) I did not understand a word of the sermon again this AM....but it is always an experience there with all the children. The attendance seemed to be down a bit this AM...with nearly 50 there. All were women and children except for one man from the neighborhood. Most households down here do not even seem to have men in them. We also had the "church dog" that wonders in and out during services and then he sunned himself outside the door after he had checked us all out again. :) We placed our Honduran money in the collection but I really have not much of a clue what we put in....all I can remember is that a 500 dollar bill here is about 35 dollars. It is neat to listen to the children here sing at the tops of their lungs! They really enjoy singing. Doris is the one that clung to me this AM...she is Monica's older sister only much slower than Monica at this point. Apparently her mother kept her and she is soooooo far behind in her development! She is probably 12 but when she came to Casa she could not bathe or dress herself. She was not even correct in the way she went to the bathroom I guess. As she eats...she still mostly eats with her hands and eats very quickly with her head over the plate and seems to gulp it down without even chewing....it seems she feels this is her last meal. She wants to sit in your lap all the time and be held like a baby. At first I guess she just walked around with her head down and had no idea how to hug or accept affection.....now she seems to crave it. She seems to love music, however and will "dance" to any music playing. So maybe music will be a key to helping her learn. She has only been here maybe 8 months and has come a long ways. She now dresses herself and is doing many things. She cannot talk very well, however. It will be interesting to see how far she advances in the upcoming year. Rosita, the deaf girl really seems very bright. There are times I would swear she can hear....but I think it is just the signing and lips that she is reading...but she seems to understand alot. They are in the process of teaching her sign language and spanish and english signing is entirely different....so as I have said before...nothing is ever easy here. Pamela's foot seems to be healing well yet. I am praying this surgery really makes a difference for her. Well...I am going to try to watch LOST on the web now and then I will just read more. Leasurely day here....getting my body ready for helping build the house tomorrow! I am sure tomorrow will be a full day and a tiring day! But one I look forward to! I will try not to cut off an arm with the chainsaw or break my foot again! :) The pictures I posted today are Doris and I at church this AM and one of all the kids at night watching their nightly movie before they go to bed. Have a blessed day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment