Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sarah....a little faith, late in life!

This week's woman of the week is Sarah, Abraham's wife. She was 89 years old when she laughed at God when he had told Abraham she would have a son. Years before she had tried to "FIX" the problem of not being able to have children by having her servant, Hagar, have Abraham's child. We later read where Sarah's plan to "fix the problem" did not work out very well for anyone involved. We also find that on two different occasions Sarah went along with Abraham's lies to protect Abraham, even though the lies placed Sarah in danger. Apparently there were several times in Sarah and Abraham's lives when they did not have much faith in God's protection or his promises. They lied because they did not trust God to protect them. Sarah laughed when God promised them a child. Like us...they tried to "fix" their problems themselves and not wait on God's plan and timing in all this. At the age of 90, God had the last laugh however and Sarah did indeed have a son. I think back on how many times I have taken problems in my life and tried to "FIX" them. I have found myself not talking to God first or not waiting on God's timing if he were to intervene. I feel like I need it fixed NOW!!! I look back often and see how much I botched it by trying to fix it myself!! Then there are times, like them that I may not tell the truth or all the truth because I am trying to protect myself or another. God knows about the lies and knows how many times I do not trust him to do what he says he will do! Abraham and Sarah are just yet another example of the imperfect humans that we are. Later in life, Abraham's faith was tested again with the sacrifice of Isaac and this time he trusted God. So....we see in this that Abraham and Sarah's life and mistakes lead to a greater faith and spiritual growth in their lives. Our Christain life is not accomplished by never making a mistake, it is accomplished only by coming back to God when we do make mistakes. God never gives up on us....he carried out his promises to Abraham and Sarah even though they were not perfect! He will do the same for me. None of us are perfect.....we are just forgiven. What a blessing this is! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment